Winchester VA Misdemeanor Lawyer
Skilled Legal Representation for all Classes of Misdemeanors in Virginia
- License suspension
Although misdemeanor charges are seen as less serious crimes, it is still a criminal offense and should not be taken lightly. Make sure that you have a competent representation to avoid facing punishments by seeking the legal services of the Winchester misdemeanor lawyers at Amable Law.
What are the Misdemeanor Classes in Virginia?
In the state of Virginia, there are five different categories of misdemeanors: Class 1, 2, 3, 4, and unclassified. The four classes simply describe the different levels of sentencing severity that misdemeanors can have and are laid out in the Code of Virginia § 18.2-11.
Class 1 Misdemeanor:
- The offender can receive up to a year in jail and can be fined up to $2500; e.g. petit larceny, domestic Assault, DUI, and reckless driving.
Class 2 Misdemeanor:
- The offender can receive up to six months of jailtime and can be fined up to $1000; e.g. possession of a schedule IV controlled substance, driving without a license.
Class 3 Misdemeanor:
- The offender can be fined up to $500; e.g. Unintentional Vandalism (without the intent to steal), Possession of lower-level prescription drugs (schedule V).
Class 4 Misdemeanor:
- The offender can be fined up to $250; e.g. public intoxication, possession of a schedule VI controlled substance.
- The offender can be charged based on the severity of the crime and discretion of the judge as a class 1 misdemeanor.
It is important to understand that a criminal act, such as larceny or drug charges, can be categorized in multiple different classes of misdemeanors in VA and even as a felony. It mostly depends on the circumstances of the case, such as whether the defendant is a repeat offender, who was involved (such as minors), and the severity of the crime. The presence of such aggravating circumstances may bump a criminal offense into a more severe sentencing.
The Consequences of a Misdemeanor 1 Conviction in VA
A Class 1 misdemeanor in the state of Virginia is the most serious misdemeanor. If convicted, you could face a $2,500 fine and 12 months in jail. Petit larceny and domestic violence are examples of crimes that can be class 1 misdemeanors.
Misdemeanor 3 Charges in Virginia
In Virginia, a class 3 misdemeanor is one of the least serious misdemeanors which can be penalized by fines, but not jail time. If you are charged with a class 3 misdemeanor, you could face a $500 fine. On the other hand, if you are charged with a class 4 misdemeanor you could face a $250 fine.
Mr.DelGado was very attentive to every detail I said to him about my case. He then gave me a very clear and confident road map.- Jennifer
I was suddenly faced with an extremely stressful situation and needed legal advice for a divorce. Mr. Delgado's recommendation was a blessing. During the consultation, I was impressed with his professionalism.- Allen
I highly recommend Mr. Delgado, he was a tremendous help, very professional and extremely knowledgeable. He was very hands-on and made us feel very comfortable in our situation!- Angela
I do not know what I would have done had I not had him in my corner fighting for my rights. You will not be disappointed by hiring Mr. DelGado.- James
"I appreciate everything he did for my family! He's "The Best""I hired Mr. Delgado for my son who had gotten in a bit of trouble. He got the charges lowered to misdemeanors as soon as he was hired. We were kept informed every step of the way. We were so happy with the outcome! I appreciate everything he did for my family! He's "The Best"- Karla
We hired Mr.Delgado to handle our complicated 601A hardship waiver. From start to finish he was there with his expert knowledge.- Zella
Fighting to Defend Your Rights & Freedom
- A high-quality Winchester misdemeanor attorney, who understands the intricacies and nuances of the law and is able to apply them to your specific case to determine the best defense strategy for you, is invaluable and hard to find.
- After years of working with a variety of clients in diverse situations, our Winchester criminal defense attorneys at Amable Law have not lost the quality that has set us apart from so many other law firms: compassion.
- For us, interaction with our clients where we can listen to your needs and meet them with specific legal advice is what gives our work meaning.
- We strive to maintain personable, attentive service to each case so that you can be confident that we are with you every step of the way.
Technology EfficentWe Have a Tech-Savvy Legal Team to Best Suit Your Needs
Attention You DeserveOur Firm Provides Clients With Personalized Representation
Se Habla EspañolOur Legal Team Has Bilingual Staff to Assist You
Accessible & AvailableWe Have Open Communication with All Clients
By Your SideWe Are There for Our Clients Every Step of the Way
We Can Help YouOur Firm Handles a Broad Range of Legal Matters